Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Well the iMac is in.

Well, the new iMac finally came in yesterday. Better late than never I guess. I was very impressed with the way it was boxed up. Not like any PC that I have gotten before. I had ordered it second day air because I don't like getting computers by ground. I wanted to limit the amount of abuse that it would have to go through. But the way this thing was packed, I wouldn't have had to worry about that. It could have been used as a football in a game between FSU and the Gators and survive with no problem.

I must say that it looks much better in person, than it did on TV or in one of the adds on the Apple site. I was a little concerned about how steady it would be on that little foot they have holding up the iMac. But my concerns were totally unfounded. It is more than sufficient to hold up the computer/monitor. Another thing that I was impressed with is the keyboard. I halfway expected it to be on the flimsy side, but I was wrong. It is amazing how thin it is and yet, I believe it to be the sturdiest keyboard that I have ever used in the last twenty years. (My all time favorite keyboard was on the Osborn Executive Computer, back in the '80's.) The keys take a little getting used to, but they are responsive and precise. All, in all, I give it a +9. The screen? Well, I just can't say enough about it. It is great!

I spent the first day just playing around with it. Other than my iBook, it has been a long time since I worked on a Mac. It sure is good to be back 'home'. I did learn something very interesting, at least to me. One of the things that has always bugged me on the iBook, was the mouse cursor. It was always so small that I had a hard time finding it. On the PC I would just change to a larger size by clicking on the mouse settings in control panel.

Well, after all of these years, I found out that the answer to my cursor problems was even simpler to overcome on the Mac. Just click on system preferences, then universal access, then mouse and just adjust the size! DUH! I wish I had know that a long time ago. lol

Anyway, I really like it. Today I did some real work on it, getting it set up and moving files over from my PC Laptop to the iMac. I will write on that later.

Rick Davis

No comments: